updated July 28, 2014 at 5pm
The El Portal Fire started at approximately 3:15pm on July 26 just outside the park in the small community of El Portal, and is spreading north and east toward the community of Foresta.
What is the current status of the fire?
The El Portal Fire is being reported at 2,632 acres, and is currently approximately 5% contained.
Resources include: 4 Hot Shot Crews, 2 Dozers, 5 Type 3 (Wildland Engine) Strike Teams. Fixed winged tankers and helicopters are being used during daylight hours. Aircraft resources include 8 tankers, 6 helicopters and a DC10 (VLAT).
How has Yosemite been affected by the fire?
- Yosemite National Park is OPEN
- The Big Oak Flat Road is closed from Crane Flat to the Highway 120/140 junction. Visitors traveling from the Bay Area or Sacramento area should use Highway 140 to access Yosemite Valley.
- All DNC services and lodges are open. Except the Tuolumne Meadows Hikers Bus has been suspended until the Big Oak Flat Road reopens.
- Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point and Wawona/Mariposa Grove areas are open and accessible via Highways 140 and 41.
- Access Tioga Road from the west via Hwy 120 West. Visitors in Yosemite Valley will first need to exit the park via Hwy 140 and then re-enter on Hwy 120 West.
- The National Park Service has temporarily closed Crane Flat and Yosemite Creek campgrounds due to fire activity, and Bridalveil Campground is being used for fire operations.
- Hwy 140 into Yosemite National Park is OPEN
- Hwy 41 into Yosemite National Park is OPEN
- Tioga Pass Rd is OPEN
- Glacier Point Rd is OPEN
- All Entrance gates into and out of Yosemite National Park are OPEN
Is it smoky in the park?
Updates on air quality, are available on the NPS website. You can also check current air quality in Yosemite Valley by visiting the Yosemite Conservancy Webcams.
Yosemite National Park Web Page: http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/current_fire.htm
Yosemite Air Quality Web Page: http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/aqmonitoring.htm
Yosemite Fire Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yosemite-Wildland-Fire/124632964255295
Yosemite National Park Road Conditions: 209-372-0200, press 1, press 1