Housekeeping Camp units consist of three concrete walls, a concrete floor, double canvas roof and a fourth curtained wall. The curtain separates the sleeping area from a covered patio area with a privacy fence that's furnished with picnic table and bear-proof food storage containers. Each unit also includes a campfire ring with grill grate.
Each of the 266 units in the Housekeeping Camp area can accommodate up to six people. The sleeping area has 1 bunk bed (with 2 stacked twin mattresses), a double bed, table, chairs, mirror, electrical lights and outlets. Two additional cots may be added to sleep a total of 6. Housekeeping Camp's lodging does not include linens or daily housekeeping service, despite the camp's interesting name. There are no televisions or telephones.
Food must be stored in a closed bear-proof locker at all times. Food includes all food and drinks (even unopened canned or bottled goods), toiletries, other scented items, and ice chests.
- Your Housekeeping Camp unit comes with two bear-proof lockers measuring:
33 inches deep x45 inches wide x 18 inches tall
17 inches deep x45 inches wide x 17 inches tall
- Refrigerators are prohibited. They are not bear-resistant.
- Failure to comply with food storage policies may result in a $5000 fine and/or your removal from the camp. Food stored improperly may be confiscated.
- Vehicles used for food storage may be impounded.
- Additional food storage guidelines:
- Treat your bear-proof locker like you would your refrigerator at home; you would never leave the door open.
- We recommend using sealed plastic containers for storing your food inside the lockers. This makes it easier to keep your food organized and away from campground critters.
- Please wash your dishes and dispose of trash immediately after eating.
- Please remove all your items from your food storage locker upon your departure.
Learn more about bears in Yosemite and why practicing proper food storage helps protect them.
Restrooms and Showers
Central restrooms and shower facilities with soap and towels are just a short walk away.
Pets are not permitted at Housekeeping Camp. Kennels are available May through September and are located at the Yosemite Valley Stable. Find more information about pets in Yosemite.