Camp Curry History

Camp Curry History

Camp Curry History
Camp Curry was founded in 1899 by David and Jennie Curry, two schoolteachers from Indiana. The pair dreamed of visiting Yosemite, but found that they could not afford the coach fare into the park and still pay the going rate for park lodging at $4 per night.

This led to the establishment of Camp Curry - offering affordable room and board within Yosemite; a legacy that continues to this day. The camp was originally comprised of a dozen tents with a common dining center. Its popularity allowed it to quickly grow to hundreds of tents within a few short years.

Entertainment played a key role in Curry's success, with nightly performances and the famous Firefall. By 1922, Camp Curry also featured a dance pavilion, pool hall, soda fountain, nightly movies and a gas station and service garage. A few years later, a swimming pool and ice skating rink were added to the onsite facilities. The dance hall was renovated into what is now the Stoneman House lodge with 18 motel units.

The legacy and model that made Curry successful from the beginning is the same philosophy that is used today - friendly service, a family atmosphere and affordable fun.