Elevation: 10100 ft. (3078 m)
12 cabins with a total occupancy of 42 guests. Showers not available.
Located creekside near Fletcher Lake, Vogelsang is often named as a favorite spot in Yosemite by many a veteran visitor. This is truly an alpine setting at the highest elevation of all the camps with peaks, lakes, meadows and vistas within close proximity. Vogelsang is at the base of Fletcher Peak and famous for intense sunset alpenglow. Many alpine lakes in the area offer great opportunities for hiking and fishing. Day trip destinations include Evelyn and Ireland Lakes, Booth Lake, Emeric Lake, and Vogelsang Lake, Pass and Peak.
Meaning “birdsong” in German, Vogelsang is an evocative name for the natural beauties of the area. However, the source of the name is connected to the area's fishing opportunities. In the late 1890's the US Calvary tried to eradicate sheepherding in Yosemite’s high alpine meadows, a struggle made difficult by the poor maps of the time. Calvary officer Harry C. Benson was instrumental in mapping and naming Yosemite’s high country. He also was an advocate of stocking the alpine lakes of the Merced & Tuolumne Rivers’ headwaters with trout. The two interests merged as he named the peaks and lakes around what is now Vogelsang High Sierra Camp. Charles A. Vogelsang was the executive officer of the California State Board of Fish and Game at the turn of the century and Arthur G. Fletcher directed trout stocking in Yosemite’s alpine lakes. Two other familiar names in the area, Babcock and Emeric, were also Fish and Game commissioners. The US cavalry eventually succeeded in ending sheepherding in Yosemite, though hikers in the Vogelsang area today can still find markers carved on trees by the Basque sheepherders over a century ago. Vogelsang Hikers Camp was originally built in 1924 alongside Booth Lake. This location proved unsuccessful due to the poor drainage, difficulties with water supply, and an over abundance of mosquitoes. The camp relocated to a site near Tuolumne Pass in the early 1930’s. Finally in 1940 the camp moved to its present location at the base of Fletcher Peak, close to Fletcher Lake.