Glen Aulin History
The original camp was located in the flat, peaceful valley just downstream from the present location. This valley was named by James McCormick, a USGS topographer, in 1913. The correct Gaelic spelling is Glean Alainn, for ‘beautiful valley or glen’, but McCormick spelled it differently to aid pronunciation. In 1923 Glen Aulin was chosen as a likely spot to add a hikers’ camp and the Yosemite National Park Company built the camp in 1927. Mosquitoes proved to be too annoying and the camp moved to its present site alongside the White Cascade. The original rate was a dollar a day and a dollar per meal.